mckinney
(.400 member)
22/03/22 02:08 PM
Re: Mauser Type S

The 7 m/m rifle I have is a variation 250 according to Speed. The code word for that variation in 7 m/m is “yavsy”

Interesting, these code words. They remind me of Griffin and Howe pricing codes as shown in the sales records in the early days. I don’t know why they didn’t just write the price. Old World German influences?

I looked at the code words for other Mausers and it seems that only the types A and B have code words beginning in “W” and then only for some variations. Other variations have code words beginning in Y.

From a quick glance it appears that code words for all Types M, S, and K begin with “Y”.

No idea how they arrived at these code words. They are all 5 letters, the first of which is always “W” or “Y” (if I didn’t overlook something). That would make the total available words equal to 2 x 26 to the fourth - so more than adequate for all their variations. I suppose these words were used only internally?

As to letters stamped in the stocks, I have no idea. Does the Archive book go into this further?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com