SDH
(.224 member)
17/08/05 01:30 PM
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers?

I've been a full-time custom gunmaker for three decades, I do no bolt action work. If I were to have a bolt rifle built I would go with James Tucker, stockmaker who now shares a shop with Swiss trained metalsmith Reto Bueller (541-664-9160). Tucker is the only fellow I know that has a big bore try-gun stock. Or: Steve Heilmann (530-272-8758), who does both wood and metal or Gene Simillion (970-641-1126) who does both wood and metal.

There are rifles by each of these fellows in my book Custom Rifles in Black & White and I have seen and carefully inspected numerous guns by each of them. Better quality than German, British or any semi-custom bolt rifle by far.

Each of these fellows has been in the business for neary as long as I have. The attention to detail, personal service and truly one-of-a-kind work has value far beyond money. The one-off walnut stocks will please you for the rest of your life, and others thereafter. Their rifles are know for function and accuracy as well as beauty. Why not have both?

I have referrred clients to each of these fellows and follow up reports have been wonderful. Friends were made in every case. Working directly with the fellow who creates the project is tremendously satisfying and the dollars spent will go directly into the work and not into corporate profit, advertising, promotion or to salesmen.

Choose what you want (action, brl, sights, stock blank, etc.), but listen to their advise. But please, for your own benifit, just talk with them before buying a semi-custom rifle.

A Fisher/Burgess job would be supreme, but I don't know about their back-logs.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com