Mike_McGuire
(.333 member)
13/08/05 11:59 AM
Re: Quality of Empire Rifle Co. Mausers?

Richard

The Echols Legend is basically a "fixed" rifle and the Classic is open go. Basically D'Arcy charges $7000 to make a wood stock and you add that to the price of the legend.

I like the look of the Searcys and if they were as good as they look they would make a good match up for your double.

The only potential reservation I would have on the Searcy bolt gun is that he may not make very many and practice makes perfect. But I think I would rather have a rifle where the people speak English.

This may of be some interest to you on Empire, George Sandmann sent me an email after reading this thread and is waiting for his registration on the site to come through. He seems keen and that is half the battle

Dear Mike:

Interested in the thread about our company, Empire Rifles. Will post the following as soon as the administrator activates my membership. Hope you find the following helpful

Empire Rifles makes rifles on Mauser 98 actions. There are four rifle models:
1. the Legacy Rifle, made on a 98K by Dumoulin of Herstal, Belgium. 257 Roberts to 500 Jeffery
2. the lightweight Liberty Rifle, the same 98K action but in a lightweight stock
3. the Empire Standard Rifle, made on our proprietary 98S Mauser, CNC machined here in the US from solid stock. H-ring, one piece bolt, undercut bolt head, safety shoulders on firing pin, full length guide rib, third rear locking lug, all correct cam angles, etc. 100% CNC and EDM, chrome-moly or stainless, LH and RH. 3.3" and 3.6" cartridges.

4. the Empire East Africa Rifle, a specialty rifle made on the Granite Mountain Arms 98M action. Empire is GMA's largest customer. GMA actions are also purchased in quantity by British makers. The GMA action is a purists action, C-ring, chrome-moly, LH and RH. This action comes in 4 sizes from Kurz with a .700 dia bolt to Magnum 3.9" with a .750 dia bolt. We have made rifles on all sizes, but their Express Magnum (3.6", .700 dia) is the most popular.

Empire is introducing the 98L, engineered from the 98S, for cartridges from 2.85 to 3.6" COL. This action will be available in the Legacy and Liberty rifles. The 98K, on which we have earned our reputation, will remain available as a $250 option.

The Empire Legacy Rifle on the 98K was awarded Gray's Best by Terry Wieland. Our large percentage of repeat customers is testimonial to our quality. We also offer a unique guaranty of quality and accuracy.

Re Dakota, I admire their high grade rifles; they are the dominant player in this market. We believe our rifles are a better value than other rifles on the market. An Empire Legacy in Guide Grade has XX walnut, stainless barrel, weatherproof coating, accuracy guaranty, rings, sling, quality hard case, chambered for any SAAMI cartridge that will safely fit into the action, with all of the ergonomics like bbl length, LOP and weight customized to your spec, for $3,995 complete. The Empire Standard Rifle with the same features is made on the 98S action which can only be compared with the GMA and Prechtl/Golmatic, in Professional Grade XXX Turkish completely customized for $5,595. The Empire East Africa Rifle is a completely custom magnum Mauser, set up as an Express Rifle (the most commonly ordered finish grade) for $8,495 -- compare the Johannsen or the Sig Mauser at $10,500 to $12,000. Price delta can be attributed to exchange rate, import fees, and costs for distribution.

Three other notes: First, am a big believer in "integral" components. Our quarter ribs are integral. Bolt handles are integral (not welded on). We provide a large number of completely integral barrels --Q-rib, recoil lug, bbl band sight, and swivel. These barrels are slow-machined. Applying heat to a barrel cannot help accuracy. May not ruin it, but cannot help. Second, we seek out, select, test, and use the best components available. Third, I personally shoot every rifle. This helps keep Murphy pretty well in the closet.

I welcome e-mail and telephone inquiries anytime. Would also like to hear about ways in which we can improve our rifles. My direct line is 603.469.3152, please call. --George

George Sandmann, President
The Empire Rifle Company LLC
Premium Hunting Rifles
ph: 603.469.3152
fx: 603.619.8918
www.empirerifles.com

Contact Us NitroExpress.com