justcurious
(.333 member)
08/08/21 11:10 PM
Re: Original Rigby, 1898, in .303 British.

Let me bring some light in the darkness.

More than 30 years ago I decided for me to go for a set of 5 Mauser rifles dedicated to the 100 anniversary of the Mauser 98 ( 1898-1998).

Why a set of 5 ?
Just because the set should consist of all action length made for the commercial market.

So It had to be:

The Kurz , the Intermediate Rigby with slanted box , the Intermediate for the 7 Mauser, the Standard length and the Magnum action.

All made on a very high quality level ,stocked in the same style and shape. Every rifle for real hunting use ( No compromise regarding precision and optical quality of the scopes).

The actions ( Only commercial prewar items) had to be in perfect condition as should be the barrels.

The most difficulty was to get the .303 Rigby .
Finally got one, but as to be anticipated in that caliber the barell was more a toilett drainpipe than a barrel. The scope optically more an old Whiskey bottle.

the rest in very good condition ( Including the original stock , rounded pistol grip typical Rigby).
To become a part of the set the barrel had to be replaced.

Barell blank Swiss made Hämmerli . Contour exact copy , The original furniture including the Barrelbanded front scope base reused , the hind base replaced.

The barell inscription ( More a poem than a simple inscription ) meticolously from the original copied. Rigbys scope mounting design changed to Pivot mountig system.

The 5 rifles were marked with gold inlayed numbers in the magazine box latch.
The 303 got the number 3.

Stock and metalwork not by „Jack the local gunsmith „
That work was done by one of the best world wide known German gunmakers . Most would say the very best.

If you now would bring an action of your own to them to build such a rifle price will start at
15.000 €.

But if you are looking for a collectors original unaltered Rigby .303 your evaluation will certainly differ.

Last two digits on the smallparts box (Original trigger and scope mount bases)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com