Louis
(.375 member)
06/04/21 06:52 AM
Re: Johann Peterlongo, Innsbruck Austria, Mauser 98 Stutzen

According to previous posts dealing with Peterlongo we learnt, I guess from Kuduae, that Peterlongo (son of the founder) stopped trading in 1939 when he sold the company to Mahrholdt and that Peterlongo was selling under their name in Austria a lot of rifles originating from Suhl in Germany.

This rifle was therefore sold/retailed by Peterlongo in 1939 to the latest and – because of the Viennese scope mounts, my personal feeling is that she is much older.

With regards to her caliber - .280 Remington (1957), I assume that the rifle was originally in 7x57 (as already mentioned by Daryl) or in 7x64 (1917). Both .280 and 7x64 are pretty similar in terms of bullet caliber and case dimensions and, according to unverified online information 7x64 can be fired without risk in rifles chambered for .280 but not the contrary as the .280 case is slightly longer than the 7x64 one.

By being re-chambered to .280 this rifle has probably lost any immediate collector's value but may still be a good hunting rifle or be acquired at adequate low price for being restored to her former glory and re-barelled into a classic European hunting caliber such as 7x57 or 7x64. Re-boring or re-chambering might prove difficult as apart from the 7x66 SE Vom Hofe and the 8x68S (both probably unsuitable to the rifle), no period European calibers have cases longer than the .280, even the 9,3x64 is shorter.

Louis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com