vykkagur
(.300 member)
11/01/21 02:35 AM
Re: Mausers in films

Quote:

Quote:

There was the Movie ''White Heat'' with James Cagney. with the rifle they shot at him with ,I believe is a Mauser ,although the Movie firearms page/list ? claims its a Mannlicher

That got me thinking... seems I'd noticed that before.
Looking at IMFDB, they have it as a 'Steyr Mannlicher-Schoenauer'. They also show what appears to be a GK or Model 1952 by way of example (White Heat was released in '49): White Heat IMFDB

Of the three stills shown on IMFDB, one shows the right side though not very well. It seems that the bolt handle is rather close to the trigger guard, unlike an MS:

Then I watched the following clip. At 00:06 - 00:07 the right side is plainly visible and the bolt clearly closes aft of the rear receiver bridge, to which a scope ring is attached. Notice also how he works the bolt at 00:33. It is not a Mannlicher Schoenauer.

White Heat: White Heat Clip

UPDATE: I recently recorded "White Heat" on TCM and froze on an excellent picture of the rifle used by Edmond O'Brien to take out James Cagney in the final shootout. You're absolutely spot-on, Rothhammer: No M-S, but a Mauser, virtually identical to the one in the "Public Enemies" photo above, but with a scope on it. I wondered why the Purvis character would be using it without the scope in its clearly empty claw mounts. It might very well be the same rifle, that's been languishing in some Hollywood prop house for the last 60-odd years. Maybe the scope was lost to rough handling - or just lost. With claw mounts, that would explain why they couldn't just throw on any old Tasco.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com