Wedgetail
(.275 member)
13/08/20 07:21 AM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

Ok on to front sights. So the original type B sight was generally a long (or pre war, very long) ramp with knurling (?). They had a horizontal dovetail for the bead. Recknagel offer a few ramps, all there dovetail ones have smooth curved backs. I want dovetailed partly for originality but also because I need windage adjustment (rear has none). Are there any other options for ramps?

The other route is a banded front sight. Jon speed says type As had a unique banded sight, but also includes a drawing of an identical looking (to me) one that he suggests was general. Can anyone expand on this? I’ve never seen a photo of a type B with a banded front. Prechtl makes a nice type A repro, and I like the idea of a banded due to the strength (although the force required to unseat a soldered ramp would be alarming...). But it’s also AU$200 shipped - I’ve hit a wall with funding for this at the moment so would have to wait on that for a while. All Recknagel banded ramps are slotted not dovetailed.

Last option is to Make one from flat bar. Cutting the dovetail would be easy enough (have done barrels) but barrel profile concave would be harder - maybe a rats tail or welding on a section of tube with the correct ID. Could even weld on part of a file on the back for knurling.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com