Wedgetail
(.275 member)
31/07/20 07:34 AM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

Quote:

It’s also not a shotgun style per se, simply an enlarged forging of the typical Oberndorf guard, there is no tang extending past the rear action screw or anything on these...

I largely collect Sauer so if anyone would like pictures of this trigger guard or any other details let me know as I have some on hand. This trigger guard was pretty much standard at Sauer until roughly the early 1930’s it appears, after which the internal bow release lever and converted “standard” Mauser 98 pattern trigger guards show up on them. This particular pattern I do not have yet but am on the hunt for! The one I have not seen and assume will not, is the typical Oberndorf pattern of guard as used on most of their models. Neat project by the way!

thanks for the info - I’m glad you corrected me. Although a i was writing it I had a feeling I wasn’t right in saying it’s a shotgun guard, what I should have said was definitely not regular oberndorf one. Very nice all the same. I do plan on grafting a military bow on and co contouring it like a DST oberndord bow though - you wouldn’t have any dimensions to help me would you?

Quote:

it's entirely plausible to think that someone of that time (1937) may have crafted, or ordered to be built by a guild shop, a'custom' Mauser that varied considerably from the Mauser factory styles. Perhaps someone could have harbored a soft spot in their heart for a 'Mannlicher Haenel' they had previously owned and now (1937) wanted to have a stalking rifle of that style yet preferred the Mauser 98 action or available chamberings? Not 'Mauser original', but 'period aftermarket correct'?

I like your thinking! Yes it’s a very good point - and not entirely unrealistic too. My main reason for wanting to build a copy is that I love the look of them, I’m never going to be trying to pass it off as an original so might as well put what I like on it anyway. Although I making it a Type B original As I can gives me bit of a tickle too...

A final bit of info I’m chasing for the barrel though - muzzle diameter. Spud303’s MD is 0.59”, but it’s a 24”. Continuing that taper with a 28” barrel gives a MD of 0.55”, a while mm less and something that’s more like a featherweight diameter. Should I adjust the taper so it’s 0.59” at the 28” muzzle? What would a 28” oberndorf have had?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com