mckinney
(.400 member)
27/07/20 08:09 PM
.375 Belted Newton

For those who might be interested, there is a Griffin and Howe Mauser in .375 Belted Newton available here: https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101476672

I am more interested in the 20's and 30's G&H and Mausers myself but I did do some research over the weekend on this rifle. It was commissioned by R.F.Chatfield-Taylor, the developer of the cartridge, and was probably the first rifle built in this caliber as well as probably the only Griffin and Howe in the caliber. Chatfield-Taylor had a G&H .270 Mauser on a prewar standard Oberndorf commercial action at the time and he sent it, together with a Winchester barrel blank, reamers, and dies to Phil Johnstone of G&H, who built the rifle. There is a nice article on this by Chatfield-Taylor (together with a grainy black and white photo of the rifle) in the March 1962 issue of Guns magazine.

The gun as it is today needs the bolt reblued and possibly straightened, chamber checked etc. You can see that the caliber markings are original G&H and not the markings of someone else who rechambered the rifle. The number, 1949, is likely the number of Chatfield-Taylor's old .270 Mauser that was used as the basis for this rifle. That number was in sequence for the period 1949-50, not 1962 when this rifle was built.

Anyway, a nice rifle in an interesting caliber with a little history.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com