Wedgetail
(.275 member)
23/07/20 07:53 AM
Re: 7x57 Type B Oberndorf style build

Quote:

Here is an informative thread posted by member Kuduae a decade ago (click link): Aperature Sights

The Sportarget, Lyman 1A, and Lyman 35 do not require drilling to the receiver.

thanks for those Rothhammer, the info page about the Mauser details is especially interesting. I’m still trying to decide on sights. The cocking piece peeps aren’t very cool looking there’s no doubt. However, I associate them more with rigby than type Bs, and to get them accurate I’d have to do a lot of work tightening up the cocking piece, not to mention the fitting and initial purchase price.

I’m in two minds about a receiver peep sight - on the one hand they’re a very good sight (have an old steel Lyman 66 on a lever action and it’s excellent) - accurate, easily adjustable and sort of period. But they’re also very American, and as far as I can tell never an original Mauser fitment. But maybe I could relent And allow myself a modern alteration... a Lyman 35 would be amazing but would probably cost as much as the stock and barrel combined.

I am sure I want an original style barrel mounted rear sight base those - even if I end up not mounting sight I want the option. Partly for looks, but also with the 28” barrel I’d Ben getting a good sight radius so might consider it. Was the rear sight base a sleeve like a military one on a type B? And can you modify a military one to match? Was the barrel diameter the same in that spot? Can a military tangent sight be made to look like a type B tangent sight?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com