Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
11/07/20 07:51 AM
Re: 9.3x62 B on Guns International today

Quote:

What I mean is that there are features that could be had that are different than the standard TypeB.
Barrel styles, sights, checkering, etc. could all be specified when ordered.
There are 16 factory variations for the TypeB and occasionally you run across rifles which don't fit into any of those listed variations.

I have a TypeB in transit now that has some of these options - set trigger, checkered forend, horn forend tip and very nice wood. Not built to the specs of one of the "standard" variations though.
I haven't found in the Mauser references if special wood could be specified but I sure have seen some Mausers with exceptional wood and others of the same era with very plain wood.

Though not from 'Mauser themselves'; these images from the 1939 Stoeger, their sole authorized U.S. agent, certainly support your assertions:

This rifle is similar to Model 600, but in De Luxe finish, and with half round, half octagon barrel with raised matted solid rib. The forearm is fully checkered, and the tip is East Indian Buffalo Horn, although this detail is not illustrated. The swivels are of the original Mauser detachable type, far superior to anything offered here or abroad. The stock is selected veined Circassian walnut. Supplied regularly only in caliber .30-06 U. S. but can be had on special order in any Mauser caliber.

A few other options listed in the 1939 Stoeger:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com