Woldan
(.224 member)
24/03/20 02:13 AM
Re: New here & my Mauser 7x57 build

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I thought about slightly smoothing out the chamber mouth, it is razor sharp, in fact sharper than the chamber mouth of my 1943 K98k. But that's definitely a job for my gunsmith, I do not have the means to go in there and do precision work.

Yes, is cycles 4 softpoints smoothly, the 5th (1st round of a full mag) does not chamber very well, there must be a change in the feeding angle if the spring is under full tension. It probably gives less at a certain stage of the feeding resulting in a steep angle so that a very blunt projectile bangs into the chamber mouth at around 10 o' clock.

Its really not a big issue since I can use the pointier soft points with no issue, but I think its fixable problem, and a classic 7x57 ought to handle classic hunting rounds, so I'll try to sort it out for sure.

Also, I just loaded some 7x57's, I got to say if there is something like a pretty cartridge, the 7x57 is one of them. I wonder how those 175 grain FMJ's, which I load to 2400 fps, penetrate. The others are 140 grain soft points loaded to about 2750 fps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com