ms86
(.224 member)
01/03/20 08:22 AM
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo

Thanks for all the great responses so far. I might have forgotten to mention in my original post, but I am not reloading at the moment. So, recommendations on factory ammo are appreciated. I gather that keeping it around 2600 FPS sounds about right. Looking at Speed's Mauser book (p.278) it seems that for the era in which my rifle was made (1940), the typical hunting load in 7x57 was a 154 grain soft RN with 2,668 muzzle velocity, 2,430 muzzle energy, and chamber pressure of 42,650. If anyone knows of factory ammo that will best approximate that, please let me know, as I would reckon a load like that would shoot best in my Mauser.

Also, per Paul's request above, I am posting photos (apologies for the quality, taken on my phone), this Mauser was made in 1940 and has the correct eagle and staghorn proof marks, also has what I believe to be a factory side scope mount (very close to the example Speed presents in his book, p.173) and a period-correct Hensoldt Dialytan 4x scope with clear optics. The rifle is in great condition and I'm very honored to own it and cannot wait to take it afield.

Looking forward to being a part of this community. Please feel free to share any tips or stories of hunting with fine Mausers, especially those in 7mm.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com