Mvick
(.224 member)
28/02/20 09:49 AM
Re: 318WR rifle issues

Quote:

Interesting charts, but incorrect as to the shoulder dia. on the 9.3x62. I now have measured cases from 3 different factory 9.3x62's and the shoulders are not .442",
nor are they another number I've seen posted, they are all .454" and that is fired, so the chambers will quite likely be 1" larger than that.
The bullet dia. listed is also incorrect as it is listed at .363".
Sometimes charts aren't very good for reference when actual diameters are important.

I ran across this on Ammoguide about dimensions for the 9.3x62. May account for discrepancies.

CAUTION: Reloaders should be aware that there appears to be TWO variations of "9.3x62mm" brass in commercial
production. The body diameter of the standard 9.3x62mm Mauser (as produced by European makers) can be as large as .477" near the head. (PT&G print #706 indicates a corresponding minimum chamber head diameter of .4793".) However, at least one American maker produces a "9.3x62mm" (note the absence of "Mauser" in the designation) based off the .30-06 standard with a maximum body diameter near the head of .470". (PT&G print #449 for the "9.3x62 U.S.A. MATCH" calls out a corresponding minimum chamber head diameter of .472".) Reloaders should insure their load data is adjusted appropriately and their brass and resizing dies are correct for their chamber. Repeated shooting and resizing of the smaller diameter brass in the larger chamber will seriously overwork and weaken the case, increasing the possibility of catastrophic head failure.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com