HeymSR20
(.300 member)
01/02/20 05:09 AM
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

I was close to Rigby's London shop and factory earlier this month and had a spare hour before I needed to be back at the office. So I rang the doorbell. Maria, who I believe looks after all the exports showed me several Highland Stalkers and some of their London Best Rifles as well as a look round the factory.

Now the Highland Stalker is a really nice rifle and handles well. The barreled actions are made by Mauser and they are finished in London. Nothing wrong with that, indeed that's how most of the vintage ones were made. Indeed I have a Rigby made in 1976 made on a commercial mauser action.

And in the bigger bores - the Big Game would be a really good rifle for bigger stuff - again handles really nicely

Only slight niggle is the metal finish - it looks to me to be some form of ceramic finish as used by Blaser etc, rather than a proper blued finish. For its price point a nice deep chemical blue as used on say the Heym would be nicer IMHO. It's a real pity though that Mauser and Rigby do not make a proper left handed version, as being a left handed shot a left handed rifle is so much nicer.

Yes they are expensive with a little change out of £8,000 by the time you have added an extra or two.

Of course I could have a London best built for me. They use the Mayfair Mauser action - available in either hand. I was handed a couple to look at. They definitely are a class above in terms of feel and finish. Utterly beautiful and built by hand in the factory. Stocking - they start with a solid blank and very sharp chisels and draw knifes. But you could by a complete suite of Highland and Big Game rifles for the price of the London Best - but they are available in a left hand version.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com