NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/12/19 07:56 PM
Re: 8mm Mauser and other 8mm's...

Quote:

I really haven't had much of anything to do with the 8mm other than the .416 Rem is off of the 8mm Remington.. Craig Boddington still sings the merits of the 8mm Rem as well for elk.. so.. there you have it..

Because of this I found the information interesting..however do feel it because it is off of a mostly American site, it was slanted in information for that audience ..

Your posts of different articles are always welcome. Even though I often disagree with some of the author's comments.

A lot of modern gun writers efforts often seem rather poor. with often such good comments and knowledge shared freely, without payment or commercial selling angles for example here on NE.

Certainly some interesting history comments on the 8 mm's in that article.

But how easy it would be to say -

"Due to post world war one bans on the military 8x57 rifles, many continental rifles in that chambering were rechambered to the slightly longer 8x60 mm. With similar performance to the original 8x57 mm and the American wildcat 8,mm/06."

Easy. The above is just my comment from memory and not a gun acadmeic level.

As for the 8x68S. How can anyone write about the 8 mm Rem Mag and not the much earlier 8x68S?!

Again from memory, how easy it would be to write something like :

"The 8x68S was introduced by Schuler (?) in 1939. It was a truly 'magnum' performance cartridge, firing a range of projectiles from 170 grs to 220 grs at velocities from X to Y. While the 8x68S usually has the "S" nomenclature of the .323 caibre 8 mm's, it is redundant as the cartridge was never chambered with .318" barrels. The 8x68S can do anything the .300 Magnums can do, perhaps better.

The 8x68S, if a suitable range of projectiles was available for it, could rival and even out do, such great vintage medium cartridges such as the .318 Westley Richards (.330 calibre). However while the 150 gr to 220 gr bullet range allows this great cartridge to rival the .300 magnums, a lack of bullets in the greater than 220 gr weights such as 250 grs, 275 and 300 grs, means this versatility is not achieved at the upper end. The .318 WR (.330) with standard bullet weights of 180 gr and 250 gr. And the .338 Win Mag and other .338 cartridges with 180 gr, 225 gr, 250 gr, 275 gr, 300 gr, shows what could be achieved with 8mm magnum cartridges.

The 8mm Rem Mag with slightly greater case capacity based on the .416 Rem Mag, largely duplicated the 8x68S decades later. "

My efforts anyway.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com