9.3x57
(.450 member)
02/12/18 05:47 AM
Re: Husqvarna 1640- I think

IIRC, the Swedes have never differentiated between 94 and 96 actions.

The one pictured by TexasJohn is indeed a "strengthened" 94/96. In essence, it was "strengthened" by skipping a few machining operations which probably made it a bit easier and cheaper to produce. In the process tho, it was "strengthened" in unimportant areas and in fact thus incorporated a mechanical and safety defect of sorts as well. This defect is in the handling of escaping gas.

The mil actions possess the stripper clip thumb notch which also serves as a side vent for gases that may escape from the chamber after a case head separation. The high side wall allows, or rather focuses, those gases right along the rail to the rear of the action where they are not deflected as readily by the superior 98-type cocking piece but rather have a straighter path to the face of the shooter due to the also-present 94/96 type cocking piece.

Thus, the "strengthened" action is not "strengthened" where needed to handle pressure, which would be behind the locking lug seat. In fact, about the only advantage the "strengthened" action has is for the guy trying to beat down a stone wall with the action, for it only provides support for side impact, not for compression under the pressure of the shot.

They ARE a pretty action, and they formed a sort of transitional action to the 1640 which is also a very sleek and pretty action as well. In fact, I think the so-called "strengthened" action is one of the prettiest gun actions ever made. It looks uncluttered and businesslike, as if it has what is needed and nothing else. Which is pretty true from a sporting standpoint.

I have not seen one in 9.3x57 but they were made in a bunch of other calibers.

Neat gun.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com