Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
22/10/18 03:55 PM
Re: Mauser classics in Australia

Quote:

I appreciate all the effort you made with such a detailed response Hammer,
Quote:

No problem, glad to help. The expert on these matters would be member Kuduae (Axel Eichendorff), a Saxon Forester who uses an M1910 on the job. Several other members own, use, and share information about their MS on the Mannlicher forum as well.

As my replies to you are basically an ode to the Mannlicher Schönauer, I've moved them to the Mannlicher Discussion Forum and Archive (see Mannlicher or Mauser?).

A quick pro and con, though: Mannlicher Schönauers, particularly pre WW2 examples, are renowned for their superior smoothness and balance. The forward location of the bolt handle, however, is not liked by all (doesn't bother me a bit), and they are somewhat difficult to mount scopes upon. That said, scope mounts for the MS are usually of the claw type, allowing effortless one handed scope removal and instant return to 'zero' when replaced.

The MS sporting arms were truly engineered for 'snap shooting' with the iron sights, which is aided by the stock geometry - particularly the 'cast' of the butt. When brought quickly to the shoulder, you're on sight.

Grand Dad with his (my) M1910 Takedown, Ca. 1932:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com