Marrakai
(.416 member)
27/08/18 01:12 AM
Re: Commercial Mauser Bore Codes

Apologies for my tardiness in getting the Type B shooting, but at long last I have progress to report!

First, a photo or two:

Here is the rifle, unaltered by human hand but unfortunately very much an "India" gun, considerably altered by the ravages of the tropics, monsoons, beetles, and excess gun-oil coupled with general neglect. There are no close-ups lest you be horrified!

Except one: here's the good bit!

Initial range tests were carried out with 150-grainers as reported above, however it shot rather high on the target. Thinking a heavier bullet might bring down the POI, I found a box of Norma 196gr Vulkans and bombed them up with AR2209 (H4350) starting low! ...and headed to the range.

48gr = 2340 fps
49gr = 2395 fps
50gr = 2410 fps
51gr = 2475 fps
52gr = 2505 fps

I was struggling to get the 52-grain load into the case without compression, had to use a drop-tube, but accuracy is just ridiculous for such a worn bore. So I'll just have to be happy with 2500fps and minute of angle accuracy from the open sights!

Here's the last two pairs of shots, at 50 metres from the bench, original open sights:

Pressure is still very mild: these are Federal 210 primers, not even flat.

The only down-side is that the POI is still about 10 inches high at 50 metres. Nothing for it but to make a taller front sight. Although I may just do a lower single-leaf rear sight as that would lower my cheek on the comb a little for a better stock fit.

If I can get that done in the next week or so I'll take it hunting.
Stay tuned...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com