rpeck
()
07/07/18 12:42 AM
Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification

This rifle appears to be a post-war F. W. Heym (7x64) built on an FN Mauser 98 action. However, the receiver is marked "Made in Germany". Should I take this to mean that the rifle was made in Germany (which I understand) ...or that the receiver was made in Germany (which I do not understand)? It has a solid left receiver wall with no thumb cut out and is a C-ring with only one slot milled out for the extractor. The receiver does not have many markings on it, except for a serial number (on left side above the stock line and on right side below the stock line) plus German proof marks on receiver and barrel. It would be much easier to identify if it had a bolt, which it does not. The previous owner lost the bolt long ago, which is why I paid next to nothing for the rifle. However, since it is an F. W. Heym, with double set triggers and a folding floorplate, a drilled and tapped receiver, a great rear sight, 90% perfect blue, and an excellent bore it seems right that I should try to get it shooting again, rather than part it out. It seems the original owner lost the bolt before he could get much shooting done.

I know a lot of Mauser 98 bolts can be made to fit but I would like to get one that fits reasonably well (and don't tell me to order one from USA suppliers, they will not ship rifle bolts to Canada) and therefore I would like to correctly identify the receiver. If it is indeed an FN Mauser 98 then I will probably buy a cheap beater FN Mauser 98 (plenty to choose from in Canada) and salvage the bolt.

I have attached the following photos in case they can provide a clue to origin of the receiver.

I am still assuming its an FN Mauser 98 bolt and the "Made in Germany" stamp on the receiver refers to the construction of the entire rifle and not just the receiver.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com