Claydog
(.375 member)
08/01/18 09:55 AM
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404

Mick
I only use factories for a few business reasons and also don't really like to handload. I have been using Norma African PH which are loaded with Woodleigh 450 gn solids. They seem to work well but I would be lying if I said I can notice any difference over the Hornady DGS solids which I have also used. I like the solids because for what I have been doing as I carry much more than I shoot and when I do shoot it is usually as something is running off with an arrow or bullet of dubious placement and I want to break as much bone as possible. Very occasionally they are running towards us and I like the solid to penetrate the skull. I have used the Woodleigh 400 softs and they worked well on chest shots, usually pulling up under the skin on the far side and all mushroomed perfectly. Have used a few of the hydros and thought they performed alot like solids and I have never recovered one. As far as the 404 cartridge itself goes I would say it suits me to use it mainly as the rifle I have it in is so light and handy to carry. I think its around eight pounds and comfortable enough to shoot. As a loan rifle I bought a Zastava in 458 win that was going cheap locally and while it is not as handy a rifle to carry or point certainly kills just as well and may hit a little harder. I like the 404 but would be just as happy with a 416 or similar in a suitable rifle. I am not one of these guys who is a fan boy of any particular cartridge over another but I do enjoy a classic well made rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com