4seventy
(Sponsor)
13/08/17 08:40 AM
Re: Testing a modified/weakened Mark X Action

Quote:

What I will be doing is firing a number of factory loads to see if they lead to any failure. If it is still together, I will move 'up' to the hot Turk ammo.

If there is no failure, I could load some rounds over maximum, but without a pressure gun I wouldn't know the failure point.

It is my suspicion that even if I reach the point of case failure, the action will withstand it, even with the top of the front ring milled away.

Quote:

I am not going to shoot this from the shoulder.

Utah, I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your tests.
Back in the early 80's I had the somewhat unpleasant experience of freezing up a 98 action due to extreme high pressure.
I was shooting a 270 Win from the bench at a range in Brisbane.
My third shot locked the action up and I had to use a block of wood and hammer to bash the bolt open.

The primer pocket and flash hole had expanded to what looked like twice normal size, and the cartridge case head had also massively expanded and flowed back into the front of the bolt and extractor .
Nasty stuff, but the action didn't suffer any damage at all. The 98's gas deflection design worked perfectly, and despite a shower of burning powder coming from the action, I didn't receive any serious burns to the eyes or face, and the stock was not damaged in any way.

The interesting thing was that a couple of weeks later, that rifle did the exact same thing again, fortunately with no damage to rifle or shooter.

Edited to add.......Both incidents involved factory ammo not reloads!

The 98 mauser sure is a great design, and super strong.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com