Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
31/05/17 05:55 PM
Re: 2 dumb questions re new Mauser 98 actions

When you say obscene I am not sure that I can agree there as manufacturing a Mauser action to original specs is a shit load of work. This is especially true if it is double square bridge as almost all of the action has to be milled. The same goes for the Mannlicher action and this is why neither have been manufactured in large numbers since decades. To be able to machine a complete Mauser action at current costs which you call unreasonable still requires machinery in excess of several million dollars and remember these are machined from billet, not forgings or castings. The many features of a Mauser/Mannlicher which we all love are what increase the price dramatically. DSB, third locking lug, C-ring, dovetailed claw extractor, Side mounted box ejector, full flange bolt shroud, large ring action, one piece magazine and floor plate, Oberndorf floorplate release, rotary magazine, separate bolt head with ejector and extractor etc. all add dramatically to the cost of manufacture.
This is why modern bolt actions don't have many or any of these features and are designed to be able to have as little milling as possible. A good example of that is the Remington 700 which is cheap to manufacture compared to a Mauser, however the fit and finish compared to something like a Mayfair action is shit in every way and it has none of the nice Mauser features.
I would argue that price is actually very reasonable, Mayfair quoted me about AUD$4200 a few years ago from memory and while I probably can't afford one either, that doesn't make it unreasonable. Unfortunately manufacturing small batches of reasonably complicated parts is not cheap.

Waidmannsheil.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com