Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
28/03/17 09:19 PM
Re: New Mauser M98

Gabe, definetley not trying to change any barrel threads, just wondering if for cost reasons they have used the same process as on the M12, which has some other method of attaching the barrel making it non-removable. Possibly some sort of inductive brazing which can be performed on heat treated parts without softening anything. It just seems strange to me that the Rigby and the Mauser both have identical chamberings, whereas the standard length Mausers produced a few years ago could be had in any standard cartridge and from memory even some real oddballs. Those actions were sourced externally whereas on the new M98 the actions are made by Blaser and they are masters of using modern production methods to keep down costs.

I agree the stock looks good and I also agree that the checkering looks machine cut, although I was assured by someone who has been to the plant that it is hand cut. Apparently the stocks are rough machined by another company a few kilometers down the road and then brought to the Blaser plant for finish shaping, in-letting, finishing and checkering.

Not sure I agree with the caliber business, after all the Mauser M98 is supposed to be a different beast to the Rigby, obviously some are going to be the same however I would have assumed that the M98 would have additional choices.

Waidmannsheil.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com