lonewulf
(.300 member)
22/03/17 01:53 PM
Re: Something different - Rigby's "Elephant Gun"

Quote:

'is it your target market?' (lonewulf).

That is the essential question for me at least. And if this rifle answers then Rigby is for admirers of metal decoration in my view.

The engraving is astonishing, but vulgar - the rifle has the pox. Yes I am a cranky old fart who will never afford it and the only opinion that matters is that of the buyer and such Rigby must chase or go broke. Fine, I accept that. But even as an advertisement of just what Rigby can do for the buyer I think it misguided - for it is only one thing and not a display of various effects the buyer might like.

Amortise the cost of each workman on this project into the utter reliability and understated elegance of rifles that Rigby is famous for - and what effect on the cost of the new Rigby line around £5-6000? Irrelevant if this rifle is bespoke but core business if a Rigby is just that bit more affordable for those who hunt it. Yes a left hand .275 Rigby is growing in my savings account and dreams.

Looking at books by Dallas engraving was there to trap a film of oil, the wood of perfect grain in the wrist for strength and not so fancy in the butt, for you dont see it when hunting and the dings make for memories - without cringe at despoiling gorgeous wood in thorn country.

Yes I would knock it back. But that is just the view of a dreamy old whinger lol!

If by that you mean, can I (the lone wooof) afford a new Rigby the answer is .. hell no!

The point I'm struggling to make is this; if you want your rifles to appeal to well bred and well to do gentlemen, (and maybe that isn't the intended market anymore) then I think the use of ostentatious OTT engraving, (at least IMO) in an advert, may be akin to putting a bullet through your own foot.

The Rigby should be understated, not some painted tart, again IMO.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com