NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/03/17 01:20 PM
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

Quote:

Also, in line with some of the comments here, I personally think 7.8 lbs may be a little heavier than it needs to be for the .275 chambering. What we like about these classic sporters is their slender elegance, and IMO Jeffery and Rigby sporters from the good'ol'days got it right at 6.5 to 7 lbs. My example weighs 6lbs 9oz for example, and my friend's Jeffery is a hair under 7lbs.

Somethng to bear in mind. Some of those sorts of weights, in a walnut all steel rifle are in the modern "custom" range of rifle design. So if someone wanted that, paying for a custom rifle - London Best - could probably deliver it. A 6 1/2 lb all steel walnut rifle today usually has other compromises which usually would mean lesser walnut or a lighter wood or a lightweight 'plastic' stock, shorter barrel, alloy use not steel etc etc. Walnut and all steel would require a lot of extra work. At least that is my opinion. And at twice the price ... The average rifle buyer would not want to pay the premium for all of that.

Also in .30-06, 8x57S, and especially 9.3x62 a 6 1/2 lb rifle would be too light for many owners. Many would stick a huge heavy scope on top of it anyway.

Same as comments as people saying "I prefer a ######". Yep at TWICE the price or more of course the fully custom bespoke rifle is often nicer and has higher quality features. You pay in life for what you get. The other brand(s) mentioned do cost over TWICE as much. Rigby's London Best custom rifles also start at twice the price of the Highland Stalker model. What does a vintage Rigby go for nowadays? Don't answer on this thread, start a new one if people are interested, but I was shocked to see one priced in the USA at over US$20,000!!! All it costs is money for everything people want. whether old or new ... ha ha, my wallet is not bottomless obviously like some people's are ...

Quote:

Nevertheless, the Highland Stalker is a marvellous thing to be producing and promoting at this level against the incoming tide of black plastic and stainless steel, and the people at Rigby's are to be commended.

A reminder too that your next custom stalker or big game rifle can be built 'virtually' and priced up on the Rigby website. I go there occasionally to dream....!

And these steel and walnut rifles whether the Big Game model or this new Highland Stalker rifle are much in the news and sell like hot cakes. I think this new model will sell faster than it can be made for a period of time. Even at the price it costs.

Didn't know that. Will have to look at the website.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com