NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/03/17 02:01 PM
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am a little intrigue that `Scotland` is the theme. I know...Highlands is Scotland but John Rigby was from Irland and they have mountain and hillcountry in Irland
https://www.google.dk/search?q=mountains...2074xZ4ZcwnPmM:

Rigby also mailed me an advertisement of a Whisky with again `Scotland as a theme. If Rigby should have done anything they should have had an Irish Whisky with their name on it.

Is my observation wrong..?..

Though John Rigby & Son founded their business in Dublin, Ireland 1735, they opened a London shop at 72 St James Street in 1866. In 1897 they sold their Dublin branch to Truelock, Harris & Richardson. So they were a pure English gunmaker, catering to Scottish highland stalkers and colonial big game hunters, at the time they offered their .275 Mauser Rifles.

Yes exactly. I really struggle to understand the quibbling over the Scottish themed launch of the new rifle.

Rigby, as you note, was a London-based company in 1900 when the Mauser 98 action came into production. The rifles the company produced from that period were initially intended for use within the UK and its colonial territories, particularly in India and parts of Africa.

Although all sorts of hunting opportunities existed right across the UK at the time, hunting in the Scottish Highlands was rightly seen as the ultimate challenge for the British sportsman - no doubt to some extent because that is also where British royalty went, for the most part, when hunting Red deer.

No controversary at all. Just another latest irrelevant nitpick.

When an American company introduces a rifle with an African name, do we see all sorts of goofs claiming eg "Caprivi" has nothing to do with a M98 rifle or America?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com