Ripp
(.577 member)
30/11/16 06:36 PM
Re: American .323" bullets

Swifts are pretty much what I use on 90% of my hunts and are what I consider the prefect bullet. Have used them in my 416 Rem on everything from Duiker to Cape Buffalo in Africa on numerous hunts..Have recovered a few..one out of a wart hog facing me..shot him in the chest..found the bullet under his tail..92% retention and perfect mushroom..another out of a cape buffalo--90% retention...they work in most speeds and especially at faster MV's which is what I also use a lot..or in heavy tough game such as a cape buffalo ..

Have also used Accubonds..they are a good bullet provided you use them in proper velocities and distances..the jacket on a Accubond is much thinner than on a Swift Scirocco or A-frame...used them on my first trip to Zimbabwe..shot 180gr Accubonds out of my 300 RUM..3370fps..horrible choice..bad penetration and violent expansion...not as bad as a Berger , but close...speaking of Bergers, they are total pieces of shit as far as I am concerned and should NOT be used for hunting, period.

I do use Accubonds on smaller mtn game out of my 280AI..140 grs..mv 3100fps...been using them on Tur or Ibex sized game and at those velocities and distances, they work fine..but, in my experience and opinion, if you shoot a rifle with MV around 3100fps or more and the shots will be close..200 yards or less, there are better bullets (Swift) and are NOT the bullet to use..tried Accubonds again in 2015 on elk out of a 7RUM..again really poor performance...having said that, they work fine out of my wife's 308 Winchester with 165 gr Accubonds...mv at about 2800fps..not as good as a Swift, but they work o.k...the other good thing about accubonds, they are very accurate..but as you stated in an earlier post on this thread, what good is that if they don't penetrate???

As to price, and each to their own, but if I am out there busting my butt up and down mtns, whether here in Montana or Kyrgyzstan and a shot presents itself, I want a bullet that will get the job done, period. I feel I owe it to the game I am shooting, for a quick and definite death and to myself as I have my own time and money invested. So frankly don't care on cost if it works...I can shoot and practice with the cheap stuff, have no problem with that and do. But when the rubber hits the road, I will pretty much take a Swift over anything else out there including the Barnes..and yes I do also use them, primarily out of a couple rifles I had built in .257 Weatherby caliber..shooting the 100gr TSX at around 3675+fps..have used them on pronghorn, mule deer and elk..the problem for me is in certain cases, the entrance and exit wound is the size of a pencil. I don't like that and so, again, especially for elk sized game, I will stick with the Swift. to date I have used the in .416 Rem, 375H&H, 338RUM, 300RUM, 7RUM and just loaded up a batch of 160gr for the 28Nosler..Also working up loads for the 375H&H to take back to Africa in a few weeks for large plains game such as eland. My bullet of choice is the 270Gr A-Frame..

Thx

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com