szihn
(.400 member)
16/10/16 01:50 AM
Re: American .323" bullets

Oh yes, I have never seen a worse 9.3MM game bullet made anywhere by anyone than the Speer 270 grain. Too bad....it is super accurate, but it is nothing more than a giant varmint bullet.

I killed a very small White Tail buck with one a few years ago shooting down on him and the bullet hit the spine. It was about 40 years away. It blew the spine in half, but not one small piece of the bullet even made it through into the body cavity. Because of the broken spine it did drop the deer, but I actually had to kill it with a 22 pistol shot to the head.
Here is all that was left of it.

The penetration was only 4-1/4 inches or so. Speer markets this bullet as being made for large and dangerous game. I believe that is irresponsible of them and borders on criminal.

I sent them these pictures and the story and they rudely told me 'too bad but that they didn't care'.

I have used the 286 Gr Hornady it it is nearly as accurate, and it kills wonderfully. I have not recovered one of them, and the exit holes are about 1-1/2" in diameter in every thing I have killed.
I also have some Nosler partitions and a box of Barnes bullets for my 9.3X74R. I have no doubt at all they will be perfect.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com