93mouse
(.375 member)
28/09/16 06:12 AM
Re: 68mm cartages'

8×68mm S case is the parent case for .375 Hölderlin (9.5×68mm).

Well I had and still have my share in shooting 8x68S. I was shooting it for couple of years then 8S gave way to the 9.3x62 for some time since my usual shooting distances were pretty close + I was constantly available for tracking wounded game so short barreled 9.3 (50 cm 9.3 barrel compared to 62.5cm on 8x68s)was just more appropriate. Since my dog is getting older and my tracking days are comming to and end 8x68s has found its way back and I must say I am increasingly impressed with every shot I make.

In general as John said - it shoots hard and well + it shoots flat and it feeds super slick. The biggest problem was finding appropriate bullet for its velocities. RWS was making a great KS (Cone Point) bullet back in 60's - it was nickel plated steel jacket one and it performed fine. It was later discontinued and replaced by copper/zn jacket - as can be seen on jgrabow's 6.5 pic (middle one) - while deadly accurate (usually all bullets shot great in 8x68S and a proper load isn't hard to find) it was too soft for the job.

Later on (70's), Hirtenberger began to load ABC bullet - see jgrabow's 6.5 pic (the one on the right). ABC bullet was (as far as i know) the very first x-type bullet and paired with fast calibers like 8x68S new dawn began.

Loaded with Woodleigh Hydros I wouldn't mind using it on all the game - Cape Buffalo and Elephant included.

It is trully a great calliber with bigest game over long distances in mind. It realy hits hard and kills fast - by all means faster than 9.3x62. Wher animal can make some strides when shot with 9.3, it is usually dead on the spot shot with 8x68S - since both calibers operate with almost the same energy (9.3 based on weight 8 based on velocity), maybe it is velocity thing I don't know.

Great for bears and should be perfect for big cats IMO.

It does on occasions behaves oddly - I shot my last stag with it through both shoulders and found the bullet just under the hide on the exit side. It was shot at 7m - I believe if it was shot at 30 meters or more bullet would definitely exit.

Pic of the bullet - CDP Blaser 196gr (mix between Barnes x and A frame) factory load going 3100 fps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com