BillG500
(.300 member)
03/09/16 07:46 PM
Re: 318 Westlet Richards barrel profile ?

My opinion for what it's worth after carrying rifles for hours that are just that little bit too heavy, is go light. I built myself a lovely .404 on a Brno 602 single bridge action, unfortunately I made it too heavy and it is a pig to carry on extended hunts. I just used a standard sporter barrel, as I thought it would be the better option.
Since building the .404 I have handled a couple of Mauser's an 8mm, 9.3x62 & another .404, all these rifles were very light compared to my .404 and it was a delight to hold them and I know to carry and hunt with these would be a dream compared to what I own. My .338 WM that I use and love could also be that 1/2 lb lighter as it weighs 9.2lb scoped. I also own a .500 NE and it weighs up into the 11lb range and is also a bit heavy after a days hunting, but I'll put up with this one
I intend to, after I finish my enfield sporter in .303/25 to build another .404 on a standard length 98 and either a .318 WR or .338WM again on a 98. Both of these will be light, not featherweight but pretty light all the same so I can carry it with ease. I'm not at all concerned about any added recoil, when your hunting you only take a couple of shots and I don't really feel the recoil hunting, just like almost everyone.
So personally I'd go the light sporter for the reasons above, and 8.5lb all up weight to be about optimum for a rifle that will get carried a fair bit.
What action do you plan to use?
Anyway good luck with the build.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com