szihn
(.400 member)
09/07/16 12:13 AM
Re: American .323" bullets

Hi Rolf
Good to hear from you. I am eating elk steak and eggs for breakfast today. What did you have?
(I remind you---- I will cook such things for you and your family if you come visit)

I believe you may be correct. The SST 170 grain bullets I have loaded now are very accurate and I even killed a running fox last week with one. It was going from right to left at 185 yards and I killed it with one shot. These bullets shoot about 1 MOA and fly fairly flat, but the jackets seem a bit thin. But at the velocities I am shooting them they may be OK of elk. I don't really know. I am sure the Nosler Accubond and Partitions will be fine. But they are 30 grains heavier and so I will have to learn all new holdovers if I change. May not be a problem in the trees as the average shot is under 100 yards, but in the open planes or rolling hills a 300 or even 400 yard shot is not uncommon.

I got 2 boxes of 200 grain Speer bullets. I may buy some 200 Grain Nosler Partitions and see if one load of powder will produce equal accuracy with both the Speer and the Nosler. if it does I then can buy more Speer bullets for practice and only 1-2 boxes of Partitions will last the rest of my life for hunting.

I made myself 2 new rifles last year and I think I need to make meat with them both. The one is the 8MM Mauser I am speaking of here. it is full stocked and has a short barrel, stocked in French Walnut, it is a real classic with side panels and ring mounts for a braided leather sling.
It looks very much like some of the beautiful sporting rifles that came from Germany in the 30s

The other one is a classic style on a GEW Mauser opened up to a 300 H&H. 27" long barrel with globe front sight and express sights in the rear zeroed at 200, 300 and 400 yards, as well as a Leupold scope. I have shot this rifle with 200 grain Noslers and it shoots very well. The best I have done at 100 yards so far is 5/8" for 4 shots.

I have only one license for a bull elk and one for a buck deer and next week I can buy leftover licenses for cow elk and doe deer so I expect to shoot about 4-6 animals this coming season. I intend to use both my new rifles, but I also will probably use the Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R on at least a few hunts.
It is becoming one of my absolute favorites rifles for hunting.

I love this "problem"

Oh my.............what rifle or handgun do I want to use today?

Makes me wish I could stay in good physical shape and hunt for at least 60 more years. It is truly one of life's best pleasures. The 51 years I have been hunting so far (I started when I was 9) is simply not enough.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com