Rule303
(.416 member)
14/06/16 12:22 PM
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle

Quote:

Quote:

. , the stock was made stronger to eliminate some of the problems original Rigby stocks had. Many of the vintage rifles ended up with cracked stocks, broken wrists etc. The stocks are better wood than the originals being Turkish kiln dried walnut. Yes the barrel is beefier, designed to reduce rifle whip and reaction time when shooting a .416.

Maybe, but it's doubtful. The beauty of the early English, especially Rigby's, stock style was that they were built to handle quickly. If you only worried about strength you might as well shape your stocks like A-Square used to !

Here is a photo of an early Rigby 416 owned by the Carr family in Zambia. It was used by both Norman and Adrian when they were PH's and is estimated to have been used on over 1000 BULL elephants ! It is obviously well worn it still servicable after over 100 years of use .

Now that is my kind of rifle. To me that is far better looking than the Rigby special. Yep I can nit pick it. The stock timber is to ornamental in looks for me. BUT I would not knock that rifle back if they wanted to give it to me.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com