Vladymere
(.300 member)
22/05/16 02:26 PM
Re: "Tiger" M98 rifle - need suggestions

Daryl S,

I have only read of the process I described and have plans (for the last seven to ten years, I don't recall exactly) to do this same thing so I may be talking out my ass. This process was used by several forum members of MauserCentral.com which has not been active since the days of the Turkish Mausers when they sold for five for $100.

Here is a link to Gun-Kote on Brownells http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...h-prod1150.aspx

The instructions are two bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour. My concern with the pits is that, even with a release agent, the bedding will fill in the pits and cause extraction issues like a pitted chamber causes convex dents in brass and extraction issues. I suppose that for the purposes of bedding clay could be used to fill the pits but then you are left with an ugly receiver.

As long as all pitting is below the wood line then the pitting will not ruin the esthetics of the rifle but that R.Famage/1952 is a real killer. I would have to see that covered up or removed some how and I don't think I would want to file it out as, I think, that the out of roundness would be quite visible.

Just my opinions and yours may vary quite much but then we all build rifles to suit ourselves.

Vlad

Contact Us NitroExpress.com