buckstix
(.400 member)
24/03/16 08:47 AM
Re: Another Type "A" Custom in .404 Jeffery

Hello All,

I wanted to drop in and let you know that this Manton rifle now resides in Wisconsin. After a nice conversation with axis1008, we decided it should be relocated. I must say that axis1008 is a very professional gun enthusiast, and a real pleasure to deal with. Any day you make a new gun friend, is a great day.

In answer to some comments above about this rifle; although likely an early 1900's build, it appears the rifle did go through a professional restoration sometime in the late 50's or early 60's. I base this timing on the recoil pad, which is a red "noshoc" brand, and the rear sight, which is German manufacture of that period . Perhaps the rifle originated or was restored in Germany, which would explain the German style stock. Its not possible to gain much information from the stock in that it has been totally, and professional, glass bedded from the recoil lug forward to the tip of the forend. Regardless, the overall workmanship is very professional.

Barrel length is 25-3/8" and was likely shortened from something longer. LOP is 13". The rifle weighs a "light" 8 pounds 6-3/4 ounces including the weight of the sling. However, the straight stock profile results in very manageable felt recoil. I'm 5 ft 10 in and it fits me perfectly.

Assembly marks indicate that the action and barrel were mated at the time of manufacture. The action is a standard length intermediate action likely of surplus military origination. This was a common practice of British builders. There is a slight modification to the feed ramp and the mag box has been widened by machining both inside surfaces. Also, the front of the mag box has been totally cut-away to accomodate the long 404 Jeffery cartridges. Capacity is 1 up 2 down.

The real fun is in the shooting. Here is my first target.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com