NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/12/15 07:40 PM
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby

Quote:

There may be reasons why he bought a Westley-Richards .275 while already owning the Rigby presentation rifle that we cannot imagine now. It is possible that he may have considered it disrespectful to Sir Hewett to get the Rigby scratched by hunting in the jungle with it. English society had all kinds of strictures around behaviour and doing the 'proper' thing back in those days. Perhaps more so with Anglo-Indians as they related to British born people in authority. I can imagine his keeping the presentation Rigby in the case and only bringing it out shooting when invited with people of substance or with Sir Hewett himself.
The Rigby may have given him a taste for a fine .275 of 'his own', inspiring the buying of the WR rifle.
I am only imagining.

I imagine this rifle sat in a pride of place on display in his den or knowing Corbett, in his tent.

Why did he have two .275's? Why do we sometimes have more than one rifle in a calibre? Perhaps his sister(s) hunted with one or guests on occasion? Perhaps the rifle was cheap and not to be turned down when it was available?

All sorts of possible reasons. No neccessary mystery about it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com