kuduae
(.400 member)
27/10/15 04:28 AM
Re: Grandfather's .22

John, just to clarify what I meant with "more period scopes": Such small, 22 mm = 7/8" tube scopes were often used in Germany on upgrade .22 rifles from the 1920s to the 1960s. Cheap .22s were more often mounted post-war with cheaper ¾" tube scopes. During the 1960s – 70s these traditional German scopes and their makers were pushed out of the market by cheaper imports from Japan. Now, they are getting scarce, even more so their steel mounts with windage adjustment by opposing screws at the rear ring. For many years now I bought such scopes and mounts if the price was reasonable, just in case I need one. All are 22 mm steel tubes. All except one have the German standard #1 three post reticle and internal adjustment for elevation only.
For size comparision I mounted them on my .22 Mauser single shot, as this rifle has essentially the same receiver as your Mm410. (The rifle is a mix, a Es340 barreled action in an Es350 Championship Rifle stock, but that's another story)

1920s 4x W.Gerard "G". Originally an "universal" hunting rifle scope. This is the one rgularly mounted on my Mauser .22

OIGEE "Landlicht 2 1/4 x Centrum-K", a typical 1920s – 30s small bore scope. Pointed post only reticle.

Zeiss "Zielklein" 2 1/4 x. Hard to find and most often more expensive, about Euro 150.- to 200.-. often mounted on full bore hunting rifles in America and Britain. You pay for the "Name" too.

Two post-WW2 scopes, still very similar in shape to the pre-war ones:
A variable Bischoff, Brunswick, "Dinox" 2 – 4x. The only one with both windage and elevation internal ajustments.

Two sides of a post-war 2 ½ x 18. Made in the 1960s for the trade by Schmidt & Bender. In dimensions and shape a close copy of the pre-war 2 ½ x Hensoldt "Ziel – Dialyt", just the elevation turret is different. Optically maybe the best of the bunch because of coated lenses.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com