NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/10/15 02:58 AM
Re: Grandfather's .22

Thanks Gentlemen for your comments on the rifle and the merits or not of a restoration. I will certainly not be doing what I mentioned now and instead look to Kuduae's suggestions.

Just out of interest, what would be the market value of this rifle, in its condition? I have no intention of selling, and someone will probably get it in my will one day instead.

Its cool my Grandfather purchased a quality .22 in the day, he was a keen hunter and won three times in a row the "King of the Hunt" award at the annual "Stockwell Hunt Club" hunt weekend. Which was a shoot of foxes, hares and rabbits, shot during drives of the participants on the King's Birthday long weekend each year. I have a few dozen old photographs of the shoots and dinner celebrations and also somewhere an article I wrote which was published in an Australian hunting yearbook magazine some time ago. Must see if I can find the pdf or a copy of the magazine for the forums. Of course shotguns were used in the drives, not rifles. My grandfather's shotgun was I believe a "Stevens" side by side with hammers. I also have this shotgun now, minus one lost/damagaed hammer which needs to be found by my Uncle and then that shotgun can also be restored to use.

Also have my grandfather's quite aweful and rusted .410 single barrel shotgun, which is probably not usuable anymore. Will display that on NE too, just to see if it is unusual as it might be junk now.

My father still has my grandfather's .410 side by side shotgun, which I had repaired for mechanical faults. It is the gun I learned to shoot with. And while very tighly choked is quite nice to shoot.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com