NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/09/15 03:02 PM
Re: Where would your money go? New Rigby sporter

Scopes are the choice of course of the customer for any rifle.

And nowadays it seems people are often magnification obsessive, wanting a 15x where hunters used to cope with a 4x. A 15x for me only is suitable for a target range rifle. A 4x makes a good all round hunting optic, a 6x on a rifle for slightly longer range, and a 8 to 10x for a rifle meant for heading shooting small game, though a 6x allows that anyway. A 1x to 3x on a dangerous game rifle.

It is interesting that once people try and get used to good open sights how well they work.

One problem is most optics makers don't really cater for the traditional hunting market. Rare to see good fixed scopes now for example and certainly a good 2 1/2x or 3x, and evenm a 4x.

And many are these obsessively big 30mm tubed variables.

I am sure Karamojo Bell would be rolling in his grave with the choices of many scopes.

However it is also possible to mount a scope on a "London Best" type rifle with QD mounts allowing its "lines" to flow with open sights. Or use more than one scope. A use the scope for the occaison.

As Igorrock mentions also one gets used to the scope. On small calibre and light rifles such as my .22's my scopes too are often larger than ideal but better for the purpose of those rifles.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com