Homer
(.416 member)
19/08/15 05:07 PM
Re: Who invented the 270 win?

G'Day Fella's,

Pretorius54bn, I found the article and it is in issue #282 (Sept-Oct 2015) of Rifle Magazine (Wolfe Publishing), and I quote;
"For example, while pursuing Daniel L. Shuey's two-volume set, the "W.R.A. Co, Headstamped Cartridges and their Variations" (lots of cartridge and case drawings, but few photo's)there is a chapter in the back of the second volume titled "Dated Headstamps" that includes a prototype .270 WCF that was chambered in Winchesters "Imperial" series takedown rifles based on the Pattern 14 and 1917 Enfield (factory drawing dated 1/26/17 (26th January 1917, Homer)that was introduced in Europe in 1917. It didn't make much of a splash, apparently, being it was in the middle of World War I, and quite likely taken with a grain of salt, owing the "not invented here" syndrome that permeated the European market place for so many years. Either way, Winchester chambered rifles for the .270 WCF long before 1925. So it would be more proper to state that the .270 WCF was introduced to the United States in 1925 but first appeared in Europe, circa 1917."

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com