Huvius
(.416 member)
11/08/15 03:19 PM
Re: Birth of a 9,3x62 on Mauser Oberndorf action

Quote:

I realize this is an old post but I thought I might be able to contribute some. I knew a fellow that worked 18 years in the German gun trade. He explained to me that the rear peep sight used in conjunction with the front and rear iron sights sharpens the focus of the front and rear iron sights for those of us with aging eyes. For those of you who have done competitive rifle shooting you may be familiar with the peep sight oculars that attach to your glasses, or for those on a budget a piece of electrical tape with a hole punched in it stuck on you glasses. This is the same idea.

Vlad

May be.
On my Gibbs 280, the settings on the peep matched the leaves exactly when using both.
I never took note of whether the picture became any more clear using both.
I once noticed, while daydreaming in school, that if you look across a straight edge, there is a band which produces a crystal clear focused picture even with crappy sight like mine.
You can try it yourself looking across a pencil taking note of the clarity just above the edge.
I figured that this is the principle on which a peep works except the edge is circular so everything within become clearer.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com