eagle27
(.400 member)
01/03/15 09:20 AM
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me of the utter fealty paid to the Model 98 Mauser by members of these forums. It's almost like an act of worship. Personally I like American rifles both in style and manufacture. The Model 70 Winchester action in my mind being the equal of any on earth. I have several made on Mauser actions and a custom 375H&H on a Model 70 Classic. I also have one ,what I consider to be an original Mauser Commercial Single Square Bridge, since it is marked 318 Westley Richards Accellerated Express on the left side. I assume it's a standard action. It is now a 375H&H but the action was obviously modified by Westley Richards for some reason. The front ring is partially machined away from center top to right rail. They seem to have done this for some reason on several pictures of WR's I have seen. I understand the 'U' being ground in top to allow for some clip loading but not this particular procedure. Could it be that WR was not pleased with the excellant Mauser action as built by the hallowed company so changed it.

Yes and that same utter fealty is very often followed by those using their American rifles in Africa with their attention to ammo belts, epaulets shirts and safari style jackets, have to have the right looking hat of course and oh definitely need Courtney’s. Most of all don’t forget that other affectation, the ‘African Carry’ with no matter what gun you drag off to Africa.
All part of the nostalgia man, get with it

Contact Us NitroExpress.com