93x64mm
(.416 member)
01/03/15 09:17 AM
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98

Wanabebwana,
personally I have both a 9.3x64mm & .404, haven't the opportunity yet to use them on any game that would be considered what they were really designed for - sad but true!
I had never heard of these big calibres until I read a whole magazine article by Jack Lott 'Big bore rifles", I still have it at home & yes its pretty tattered by being read so much. This put me on the path that a lot of us here are on, love the technical challenge of getting these wonderful cartridge to 'sing' again.
No mine are just a Mark X & a CZ550 so not 'classic' actions by any means, but I'll tell you this; if you are genuinely able to hunt in a certain area then the rules of that country will force your hand to decide which calibre. With modern powders like ADI or Hodgdon the temperature sensitivity is no longer a real concern so an old cartridge like the 10.75x68 would certainly 'sing' louder than ever; otherwise I don't envy you as there are so many wonderful old cartridges out there with the modern projectiles available now provide unheard of performance compared to yesteryear's lots!

Folks like me wish we could see even get see/handle the gems that Huvius has let alone buy, I'd honestly hate to be in his position as to make a decision to trade such real gems, must have really hurt to do what you did matey!
In regards to trading any of my rifles (not that they're worth much), I'm not any more; I'm just collecting - bloody regrets!
I sold a ZKK 600 with peep site in 7x64 a little while back to a mate here in Townsville (I believe one of our members here has it now as my mate got an offer too good to refuse) & I have regretted it every since, tempted to make it into a 10.75x68mm I was!
Hate to be in your shoes matey!
Cheers
93x64mm

Contact Us NitroExpress.com