zimhunter
(.333 member)
22/02/15 02:33 PM
Re: Modern Mauser actions. Why we love the old ones.

Isn't it marvelous that the company that has the highest value of all in the world has their prime products manufactured in China and it is my contention that they would never have achieved this position without the Chinese manufacture. They are uniformly congratulated and rated on the quality of their product. This company is Apple Computer. I purchased one of the Sarco actions and it functions as it should. The finish could be improved but it is not as bad as many scarred up rusted military surplus ones I have seen. I have been building rifles since 1952 and have used a lot of surplus Mauser actions and their quality ranged from atrocious to excellant. In point of fact my custom 7x57 is on a 1909 action purchased in the bookstore at TSJC. It has to have the sloppiest bolt fit I have ever seen in a Mauser period. And I assume this to be a prewar production when quality was at a high level at Mauser. It will certainly take less manhours to bring this Sarco action up to standards of custom rifles than it would take to bring a surplus military to the same point . Basically all that has to be done is correct the finish and smooth up the action, the same procedures I have had to perform so many times on militaries. I have actually even built a couple of 1911's using Norinco's as a starting point that turned out pretty darn nice. Do I admire the Chinese - NO their government sucks and I have never had a desire to go there. I do like their food. I am looking forward to having my action built out into a nice 7x57 for a reasonable price. I will be the first to admit it will not be in a league of some of the builders commenting on here but will be a fine using rifle with some neat bells and whistles.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com