Kiwishooter
(.224 member)
17/11/14 08:36 PM
Advice on Mauser in 7x57

Hi guys, I purchased this Mauser in 7 x 57 about a year ago. Since then it's been sitting in my gun cabinet while I've decided what to do with it.

I got it for an absolute bargain - mainly because the previous owner was going to spend some time restoring it, but he lost interest in it. I on the other hand snapped it up because I feel that it is rather a unique rifle with potentially a bit of history to it.

According to the previous owner, a reputable gunsmith here in New Zealand (Din Collings, based in Wellington, New Zealand) advised him that it dates back to 1923. Evidently, the stock and fittings were German and it arrived in England where it was fitted with a 7x57 barrel made by Midland Arms. Stamped on the barrel is the load – 38grs Cordite and a 173 grain projectile.
Barrel length is 25 inches and the island sights have one standing at 100 yards then 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards.

While I have not had a chance to fire this rifle yet, the previous owner told me that it shot a very tight group with 140gr factory ammo. The bore is in excellent condition.

The gunsmith also said that the silver line on the sight leaves are platinum. The pistol grip cap is evidently made from Bakerlite?, but the front tip Buffalo Horn. The trigger is 2 stage military. At some stage it was also drilled and tapped for scope bases but they have been filled and blued. They look a bit shonkey, as does the bolt handle which may have been altered for scope use.

I would like to know what the history of this rifle is, however I’m aware that it may not be possible to trace this rifle. Is it possible that this may have been used in Africa?. The only Serial number is 114999 which is on the barrel but nothing on the action. There are no matching numbers on the rifle at all. There is no Mauser stamping on the left hand side of the receiver like other Mausers I’ve seen.

I have been advised by some of the guys on the Accurate Reloading forum that it should be appraised properly before any restoration work is undertaken. There is a very talented guy here in NZ who does stock restoration and re stocking. As you will see the stock needs some TLC.

I would be very grateful for any advice, in particular on how to fix the blade on the tangent sight since it is missing the spring.

My goal is to have it restored back to its former glory. I would like to keep it as a shooter.

Regards,

Michael.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com