Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
17/11/14 01:15 AM
Re: Low number Springfields

Quote:

Hmm - don't know anything about them, but one worked very well for Lt. John George in the Pacific.

I have an action here that is a cross between a 98 and a 03 Springfield - made in England in the 80's. Seems to work fine so far. Can't remember what they are called, might even be on the action - to lazy right now to open up the safe and have a look-see.
It's Miller time - well, not exactly, it's Sleeman's Honey Brown time.
Cheers!

John George hated the 03 Springfield .I have read his book maybe 10 times .Lt.George brought a Springfield 03 sniper rifle with him along with his personal Model 70 Winchester sniper with Lyman Alaskan scope (which he did most of his damage with )to Burma and Guadalcanal and the South Pacific in WW2. George was not fond of the 03 because of its 2 piece firing pin which had no safety mechanism like the Mauser and was prone to breakage) ,flimsy sights (especially the front ) prone to breakage ,poor heat treating of the receiver bad stock design among other issues. In George's weapons assessment chapters in "Shots Fired in anger " he gives a scathing report on the 03 Springfield .I would be glad to upload it .

Contact Us NitroExpress.com