Scott_H
(.224 member)
24/07/14 06:43 AM
Re: Inheritance

Thanks guys. I wouldn't undertake a restoration lightly, and definitely not a half-assed DIY restoration (and in all likelihood I'd never pay for a professional restoration unless I wanted to maximize the value because I thought I was going to eventually part with the rifle, which isn't in the cards). But the rifle does need a good cleaning. There's quite a bit of congealed/varnished oil in the nooks and crannies that needs to be dealt with at the very least. And the stock has some very old adhesive where the original butt pad was held in place by a piece of packing tape at some point in the past. That's pretty much bonded to whatever finish the stock has on it.

I'm assuming the original finish on the stock would have just been stain/oil with no varnish or sealer, correct? What do you all use to care for the stocks on your rifles. On my newer guns that have modern finishes, I usually just wipe them down with the same oilcloth that I use to wipe the rest of the rifle when I clean/service it... In the interest of preservation, I'm wondering if that would be an appropriate practice with this rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com