Scott_H
(.224 member)
17/07/14 01:24 PM
Inheritance

I figure the best introduction is probably to describe what brought me here.

I recently found out that I'm inheriting a Rigby 350. At this point I haven't seen it and don't know much about it other than it's not a double (which if what I've read is correct makes it a Mauser action rifle), and isn't a 400/350 Nitro. That's about the end of what I know about it until I pick it up in a few weeks.

Most of what I'm doing right now is killing time and trying to learn a few things since this is unlike any of my other firearms. To that end I figured I'd ask a few preliminary questions to get things rolling.

First off, I was surprised at the apparent potential value of this rifle. (I couldn't find anything with the Rigby name attached to it listed for under about $8000 when I looked, but then again I didn't do a lot of searching). I'm going to assume the value is towards the low end of the spectrum, but still, are these guns that people still shoot and hunt with? Or should I just plan to display it?

Second, I've already noticed that brass and loaded ammo seems pretty scarce. Are there any good sources for quality brass or ammo out there (Hopefully reasonably priced)? Barring that, is there an easily available case that can be converted? It's ok if it takes lathe work since I'm also a budding machinist.

Finally, can anybody point me to some good general reading or resources for these rifles? I'm just looking for a way to get my feet wet at this point.

Thanks all

Contact Us NitroExpress.com