xausa
(.400 member)
01/07/14 09:04 PM
Re: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed

Quote:

The unfinished stock shown here in the first post is much too straight in comb to heel for a British type stock for a Mauser. My Rigby has almost 2" of drop in the heel from the CL of the bore .American designed stocks are very straight because most Americans shoot mostly from the bench.A too straight stock can get you killed when an animal is charging as a shooter as he lowers his barrel at a charging animal
cant keep his head down to see the sights.Try it sometime. Pondoro Taylor and J Hunter almost lost their lives finding this out .Jeff Cooper at Gunsite had a charging lion scenario where he noticed all the African rifles with little or no drop in the heel always shot high over the head of the raoidly charging lion ,therefore becoming theoretical lion food.

I beg to differ with this proposition. This is my wildcat .505 SRE which I used in Africa on three different trips and took a black rhino, three elephant and five cape buffalo with. As you can see, it actually has negative drop at heel. However, years of International Skeet shooting had thoroughly accustomed me to this kind of stock, so that even in tight situations it never failed to shoot where I wanted it to.

The British stocking system is based on the premise that the shooter is taking a much more upright position than the one I use. I tend to lean into my heavy rifle, much the same way as I lean into my shotguns. Presumably Taylor and Hunter were shooting rifles which they were unaccustomed to and this can lead to disaster, no matter what the stock dimensions.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com