Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
03/05/14 12:49 AM
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle

Quote:

Gents

I was tempted to air my view on the new Rigby rifles when this thread started. I confess that I also was in agreement with Mr Dorleac etc regarding the aesthetics of specifically the "Big Game" model. But I thought that I'd rather wait for the South African Huntex show to see them in person. And so I did!

The problem the "Big Game" faces on this forum, is that we are all collectors. The Big Game was never intended for a collector (I for one didnt bear that in mind). Specifically the fat short barrel one. The professional hunters from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc however loved it! And low-&-behold this rifle was intended for that market! A real quality shooters rifle.

The barrel is short to be carried through thick brush comfortably, and the barrel is heavy, which makes it a pleasure to shoot (Personal experience).

The "Big Game" model is a working rifle. I personally experienced a hunt this week where the Hunter carried the "Big Game" model the whole day, up and down some rough terrain comfortably.

Bear in mind that the "new" Rigby was only set up from middle last year, I think they have done well in such a short time. I am sure that they would continue working on the current rifle to smooth out the finer aesthetic details. As a business they will have to sell rifles to survive.

The "London Best" is another story for another thread. But this is a Gentleman's rifle. Rigby has sold quite a few of them in the 4days here in South Africa. They are popular. But I cant imagine a Professional Hunter carrying a "London Best" through the swamps in Mozambique

The new 2014 model Mini Cooper, doesnt look like the original car.....

Happy collecting and thanks to all for sharing their collections and knowledge on here. This is a great forum

As for all of us being "collectors" well I for one certainly am not. I personally detest the word ; my rifles and other weapons are for using as they were intended simple as that.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com